Friday, July 30, 2010

Rosy-Oly-Ola & Molaritis

Roseola.

I had never even HEARD of Roseola till this past week.

We left for our trip to Tennessee on Wednesday. Sydney was a little warm, but I didn't think anything of it.

Thursday, she was a cranky girl. We put her in a life jacket, which she hated. Took her out on the lake in 90 degree weather, which she did not enjoy. She kept wanting to eat ice from the cooler while we were fishing. That should have been my first clue. She was anxious to get back to the marina. She was VERY warm. I only brought a digital thermometer because I thought, "Surely she will be okay for 4 days while we are gone. I'm not packing that fancy, expensive ear thermometer. It might get broken. Sure, it is remarkably accurate and so easy to use, but nobody gets sick on vacation...the rectal thermometer is small and I can throw it in her diaper bag just in case."

Let's just say that the digital thermometer was used. Upon taking her temp, it climbed up to 103.4...and then I just stopped taking her temp because I didn't want to know how high it was...

Guess what, the ibuprofen bottle was empty. We made a run to town to stock up on baby medicines.

Sweet Sydney staying cool with her sippy cup of Gatorade and her iced down green washcloth. We had every vent in the vehicle pointed to her. I'm surprised she avoided hypothermia.

She ran fever the entire time we were gone. On the way home, she was the most pitiful. She was, "Hot! Hot! Hot!" We stopped at a B-B-Q place that has been a family favorite for a long time. It was 105 degrees outside and the air conditioner in the little restaurant was not keeping up. My sweet child laid her sweaty head on my chest and just breathed. I felt like a loser.

She was thrilled to be home. She continued to run fever through Sunday night. Then, on Monday, the rash appeared.
The only way I could get Sydney to show me her stomach was to say, "Where's your button?"

I called my doctor and was told she has every symptom of classic Roseola. Once the rash appears, they are on the mend. Well, thank goodness. Roseola is a virus and there is no treatment...you just get through it.

And to top everything off, my poor baby has been cutting 4 molars....and #5 is on the way. I don't know how she survived this trip, but she is a trooper. As sick as she was, she played, ran, and visited with her long-distance family members.

Home again, home again, jiggety jog!

No comments: